Photo Tours Booking Now
impressions of morocco
Impressions of Eastern Europe Itinerary
Day 1: Bucharest
Day 2: Bucharest
Day 3: Veliko Tarnovo
Day 4: Veliko Tarnovo
Day 5: Sofia
Day 6: Gorno Draglishte
Day 7: Bansko
Day 8: Bansko
Day 9: Plovdiv
Day 10: Istanbul
Day 11: Istanbul
Day 12: Tour ends
What is covered on this tour?
Steve's tours generally cover a wide range of technical and practical techniques for improving your travel photography. This is done with practical group and individual demonstrations, nightly illustrated talks on aspects of travel photography and group critiques and discussions.
Steve tailors the subjects covered on the tours depending on the level of knowledge of people on the tour, individual requirements and the nature of the itinerary. Subjects which you can expect to be covered are as follows:
Different exposure modes
Why exposures go wrong
Histograms and exposure compensation
Dynamic range and increasing it
Getting the best from Auto
Balancing shutterspeed and aperture
Benefits of shooting RAW
Techniques of shooting RAW
ISO and how to exploit it creatively
Composition for visual harmony
Composition to introduce meaning
Flash and fill-in flash
Travelling with your camera
Making photographic decisions
Shooting around a subject
Techniques for improving portraits(this includes strategies for approaching people)
Sunsets and sunrises
Super long exposures (star trails)
Photographing food and markets
Shooting cities and buildings
Depending on the itinerary, we will cover more relevant localised skills that you will encounter.
Backing up strategies
Digital Asset Management
Sample digital workflow
Simple RAW processing
This tour is organised and led by Steve Davey | The land arrangements are sub-contracted to Intrepid Travel, but the tours don't appear on the Intrepid Travel website | The only way to book is through this site!
Highlights of this trip
• Holi at Mathura & Vrindavan
• Huranga at Dauji Temple
• Ranthambore tiger safaris
• Incomparable Taj Mahal
• Targeted photographic help
• Intense photo assignment
better travel photography•COM
photo tours with steve davey
Website, Images and text © Steve Davey/stevedavey.com 1990 - 2019
This tour is led by Steve Davey - a professional photographer, whose work appears in publications all over the world. He is the author of the bestselling Unforgettable Places To See Before You Die (BBC Books). Steve recently published Footprint Travel Photography (Footprint Books), which covers everything that you would ever want to know about travelling with a camera. Click for more.
Land arrangements are sub-contracted to Intrepid Travel, who have many years experience in running small group adventures.
Bookings are made through the Intrepid Special Groups Dept. in the UK not the Intrepid website or Stores. Use this link for more information
Start: 5 March 2020
End: 13 March 2020
Price: From £2895 pp
excl. flights based on a single room basis.
Price per person if two people booking a shared room: from £2495 pp.
Min 5; max 6 people
Places left: 6
Trip to be confirmed.
flight cost £650
With only six places it is impossible for us to organise roomshares and so we have priced this trip to include the cost of a single room, with a discount for people who book together to share a room. If we can organise a roomshare for anyone, we will of course do this, but if you book you will have to be prepared to pay the full, single price.
Our assignment: tours aim to emulate the experience of a professional photographer on a commission, and so we won't have the same level of regular talks that we tend to have on our other trips. What we will have though is a series of targetted instuction that is designed to help you to be prepared for various subjects that we will encounter on the trip.
There are a number of specific skills that I will be covering on this trip, including:
• I will show you simple ways to improve the focus and sharpness of your pictures.
• I will teach a number of techniques to achieve great portraits of the people we meet on our travels
• I will show you how to see pictures and prepare your camera ready to take them
• I will cover shooting with a telephoto lens for wildlife photography
• I will look at photographing and focus with Live View
• I will cover camera protection for Holi
• I will cover slow panning for wildlife and photographing at Holi
• I will cover slow synch flash for photographing the Holika Dahan
• I will cover photographing sunsets and exposure solutions
• I will cover researching trips and interviewing people
• I will teach you some simple post-production techniques to give your pictures more punch and impact.
• I will show you how a professional photographer would make an image selction
• I will show you how a professional photographer would create a shot list of images.
• I will show you how a professional photographer would prepare images for uploading to a client
• I will teach you how to back up pictures and clean your camera.
Our schedule is flexible, and will be responsive to the needs and interests of the group. If there is anything else that you would like covered on the trip, then please ask at any time. Steve is always happy to cover any points that you are unfamilar with.
We will also have a number of optional image reviews to help you to improve the quality of your pictures and to be responsive to areas that you need to address, on a day to day basis.
Included in the trip price
• 7 nights hotel accommodation
• 1 night overnight train
• 8 breakfasts
• Air-conditioned Tempo Traveller
• Delhi/Sawai Madhopur in 2 A/C Air-conditioned Sleeper Class
• Three Ranthambore safaris
• Holi 'entrance' fees!
• Taj Mahal entrance
• Agra Fort entrance
• Sikandra entrance
• Entensive Holi experience in Vrindavan and Mathura
• English speaking tour leader
• Pre-trip Facebook group to meet other group members
• Experienced Intrepid leader
• Targeted photographic instruction
assignment: Holi Itinerary
Day 1: Delhi
Day 2: Ranthambore
Day 3: Ranthambore
Day 4: Mathura
Day 5: Mathura
Day 6: Mathura
Day 7: Agra
Day 8: Delhi
Day 9: Tour ends