Photo Tours Booking Now
impressions of morocco
Impressions of Eastern Europe Itinerary
Day 1: Bucharest
Day 2: Bucharest
Day 3: Veliko Tarnovo
Day 4: Veliko Tarnovo
Day 5: Sofia
Day 6: Gorno Draglishte
Day 7: Bansko
Day 8: Bansko
Day 9: Plovdiv
Day 10: Istanbul
Day 11: Istanbul
Day 12: Tour ends
What is covered on this tour?
Steve's tours generally cover a wide range of technical and practical techniques for improving your travel photography. This is done with practical group and individual demonstrations, nightly illustrated talks on aspects of travel photography and group critiques and discussions.
Steve tailors the subjects covered on the tours depending on the level of knowledge of people on the tour, individual requirements and the nature of the itinerary. Subjects which you can expect to be covered are as follows:
Different exposure modes
Why exposures go wrong
Histograms and exposure compensation
Dynamic range and increasing it
Getting the best from Auto
Balancing shutterspeed and aperture
Benefits of shooting RAW
Techniques of shooting RAW
ISO and how to exploit it creatively
Composition for visual harmony
Composition to introduce meaning
Flash and fill-in flash
Travelling with your camera
Making photographic decisions
Shooting around a subject
Techniques for improving portraits(this includes strategies for approaching people)
Sunsets and sunrises
Super long exposures (star trails)
Photographing food and markets
Shooting cities and buildings
Depending on the itinerary, we will cover more relevant localised skills that you will encounter.
Backing up strategies
Digital Asset Management
Sample digital workflow
Simple RAW processing
This tour is organised and led by Steve Davey | The land arrangements are sub-contracted to Intrepid Travel, but the tours don't appear on the Intrepid Travel website | The only way to book is through this site!
Highlights of this trip
• Bustling capital of Hanoi
• Scenery at Vang Vieng
• Exploring the Mekong Delta
• Historic Hoi An
• Hilltribe markets at SaPa
• Stunning Halong Bay
• Extensive photographic tuition
better travel photography•COM
photo tours with steve davey
Day 1: Hanoi
Day 2: Hanoi
Day 3: Ninh Binh
Day 4: Train to SaPa
Day 5: Sapa
Day 6: Bac Ha
Day 7: Train to Hanoi
Day 8: Halong Bay
Day 9: Hoi An
Day 10: Hoi An
Day 11: Hoi An
Day 12: Ho Chi Minh City
Day 13: Can Tho
Day 14: Ho Chi Minh City
Day 15: Tour ends
Included in the trip price
• 11 nights hotel accommodation
• 1 night overnight cruise
• 2 nights sleeper train
• All transport as per itinerary
• 14 breakfasts
• 10 lunches
• 4 dinners
• Hanoi to Danang flight
• Danang to Ho Chi Minh flight
• SaPa village trek
• Hanoi street food tour
• Tam Coc boat trip
• Hoi An cooking class
• Hoi An town walk
• Mekong Delta sightseeing tour
• Ho Chi Minh city tour
• Entrances as per itinerary
• Pre-trip Facebook group
• Experienced Intrepid leader
• Expert photographic tuition
Website, Images and text © Steve Davey/stevedavey.com 1990 - 2017
This tour is led by Steve Davey - a professional photographer, whose work appears in publications all over the world. He is the author of the bestselling Unforgettable Places To See Before You Die (BBC Books). Steve recently published Footprint Travel Photography (Footprint Books), which covers everything that you would ever want to know about travelling with a camera. Click for more.
Land arrangements are sub-contracted to Intrepid Travel, who have many years experience in running small group adventures.
Bookings are made through the Intrepid Special Groups Dept. in the UK not the Intrepid website or Stores. Use this link for more information
Starts: 27 Nov. 2017
Ends: 11 Dec. 2017
Price: From £2225 pp
excl. flights, based on
Min 8, max 12 people
Places booked: 0
Trip to be confirmed.
Approx other currencies*:
€ 2510 • US$ 2850
AU$3750 • NZ$3910
Optional single supplement: £395
flight cost £500 - £600
Photo Tours Booking Now
As well as enjoying the stunning country of Vietnam, you will learn a massive amount about photography and many of the techniques used by a professional travel photographer.
Steve's tours generally cover a wide range of technical and practical techniques for improving your travel photography. This is done with a combination of practical group and individual demonstrations, illustrated talks on aspects of travel photography and group reviews and discussions.
We have recently completely revitalised our teaching schedules on our trips: we will be setting a lot more projects for people to work towards, and also holding more personal image reviews.
Steve tailors the subjects covered on the tours depending on the level of knowledge of people on the tour, individual requirements and the nature of the itinerary. Always very approachable, Steve is always willing to give individual help, look at pictures or enter into a spirited discussion about just about everything.
There are a number of specific skills that I will be covering on this trip, including:
• I will show you simple ways to improve the focus and sharpness of your pictures.
• I will teach a number of techniques to achieve great portraits of the people we meet on our travels
• I will show you how to see pictures and prepare your camera ready to take them
• I will help you to learn to see pictures
• I will show you a number of ways to improve your exposures!
• I will show you how to use composition to tell a story in your pictures.
• I will teach you a simple technique for focus-stacking to maximise depth of field
• I will show you how to use a polarising filter to get vibrant shots of tea plantations
• I will teach you some techniques for better wildlife photography
• I will show you how to shoot stunning star trails photographs
• I will show you how to use panning for exiting action shots
• I will teach you better ways to use your flash
• I will show you how to shoot and process panoramic pictures
• I will teach you how to shoot photostories of the places we will visit.
• I will teach you the rules of composition (and when to break them)
• I will teach you some simple post-production techniques to give your pictures more punch and impact.
• I will teach you how to back up pictures and clean your camera.
Our schedule is flexible, and will be responsive to the needs and interests of the group. If there is anything else that you would like covered on the trip, then please ask at any time. Steve is always happy to include anything in the trip tuition.